Ask Me Anything: Katie King

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Live on Thursday 7 July 2022 at 12:00 BST

Katie King is a published author, keynote speaker, trainer and consultant on Artificial Intelligence (AI), digital, STEM, leadership and business transformation.

Katie has over 30 years of consulting experience and has advised many of the world's leading brands and business leaders.

Author

Her first book, Using Artificial Intelligence in Marketing: How to Harness AI and Maintain the Competitive Edge, was translated into Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese & other languages. It was also listed as a reference source in the 'brand strategy' section of the World Economic Forum's Empowering AI Leadership AI toolkit for corporate boards.

Her second book was published by Kogan Page in January 2022: AI Strategy for Sales and Marketing: Connecting marketing, sales and customer experience.

Advisor

Katie is a member of the UK Government All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) task force for the adoption of AI.  She is also an Editorial Board Member for the AI and Ethics Journal.

Speaker

Katie has delivered two TEDx talks and is regular speaker at industry events

Any questions?

You can submit your question now below then join Katie King here 12:00 BST on Thursday 7 July 2022 to be a part of the discussion

liammccaffrey 1 month ago

Thanks so much to @katieking and everyone who submitted their questions. We’ll be back with an announcement soon on our upcoming Ensemble event. Take care 😊

View original

27 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hey Katie, thanks for the AMA! In terms of your policy work, which areas of government do you think would most benefit from AI and in what ways?

Hi Katie! What are the three most prevalent things the APPG task force for the adoption of AI has achieved since it began in 2017? 

With APPGs, trade associations, UK Gov departments (i.e. DCMS, BEIS, the Office for AI, UK AI council) and The Alan Turing Institute…

1. Do you think the UK is taking a coordinated approach to policymaking when it comes to AI adoption?
  2. Where do you see the most impact from the groups above (or others I’ve missed)?
  3. What’s the top piece of advice you’d give to a scale up like Peak when it comes to getting involved in regulatory conversations?

(Last one, I promise!) What are you most proud of in life – this could be personal and/or professional?

Thank you for joining us for this AMA 😀

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Katie, thanks for the AMA! From your experiences, what is the biggest challenge businesses face in adopting AI? And following on from that, how as a data scientist working for an AI business can I help with that adoption?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey Katie! Sentiment analysis is a really valuable tool for PR/marketing professionals, do you see it being used a lot in those fields? If not, what do you think the barriers might be?

How did you become AI consultant?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Huge thanks to @katieking who has joined us for the AMA now. She’ll be answering your questions until 13:00 BST 🙂

Badge

Huge thanks to @katieking who has joined us for the AMA now. She’ll be answering your questions until 13:00 BST 🙂

Thanks Liam - great to be here.  Let’s get going :)

Badge

Hey Katie, thanks for the AMA! In terms of your policy work, which areas of government do you think would most benefit from AI and in what ways?

That’s a great question Sorcha.  Education is a key one for me.  The curriculum changes way too slowly and other countries are overtaking us in their use of AI in education, e.g. China.  Educators could use AI for blended learning, to do admin, to free up to focus on pupils, and to educate on how AI is shaping future careers

Badge

How did you become AI consultant?

Hi Dave.

I’ve spent the past 30 years in the creative industries, primarily consulting on Marketing and PR for some of the world’s biggest brands like BT, o2, Virgin, Cisco. I started my own digital marketing firm Zoodikers Consulting in 2010, which I still operate to this day.

However, around 2015, I felt a bit too settled and started looking for a new challenge. I am the type of person who always likes to keep learning, growing and evolving, and while I still loved marketing I began to wonder “What’s next?” I had heard about AI, but did not know much about it as not many people were talking about or adopting it widely at that point.

I co-wrote a white paper for RICS on how AI was shaping the built environment

I started doing my own research and the more I learned, the more potential I could see for how this would impact marketing, PR and various other business functions. I started talking to others about it, and then one thing led to another and another and has not stopped since.

Badge

Hi Katie! What are the three most prevalent things the APPG task force for the adoption of AI has achieved since it began in 2017? 

A big focus is to explore the impact and implications of Artificial Intelligence

We collect and build evidence, use cases and future policy scenarios for key stakeholders inside and outside UK Parliament to consider the economic, social, and ethical implications of developing and deploying AI.

We’ve made great progress in unpacking the AI term, gathering evidence to better understand it, assess its impact, and, ultimately, empower decision-makers to make policies in the sphere.

Since 2017 we have helped shape how AI is best implemented within our policies and ‘best practices’ in relation to data, skills, entrepreneurship, accountability, infrastructure (physical and digital) and trade-related aspects of AI.

Badge

With APPGs, trade associations, UK Gov departments (i.e. DCMS, BEIS, the Office for AI, UK AI council) and The Alan Turing Institute…

1. Do you think the UK is taking a coordinated approach to policymaking when it comes to AI adoption? NO it’s very disjointed and needs to change
  2. Where do you see the most impact from the groups above (or others I’ve missed)? The Alan Turing Institute is doing some brilliant work 
  3. What’s the top piece of advice you’d give to a scale up like Peak when it comes to getting involved in regulatory conversations? Be authentic and balance innovation with regulation, but keep fair and ethical AI for the customer at the centre of everything

Badge

(Last one, I promise!) What are you most proud of in life – this could be personal and/or professional?

Thank you for joining us for this AMA 😀

Great question.  Personally, most proud to be where I am today having started on the 11th floor of a council flat in Tottenham.  And of my 2 daughters, now aged 23 & 26 

Badge

Hi Katie, thanks for the AMA! From your experiences, what is the biggest challenge businesses face in adopting AI? And following on from that, how as a data scientist working for an AI business can I help with that adoption?

Thanks Wed

Keeping focused on the business goal in key! Doing a small iteration then rolling it out.

As a data scientist, you have to collaborate very effectively with the subject matter experts to ensure success

The current tech landscape can be overwhelming for parents, how should we strike the right balance between letting our kids run wild and be digitally-literate and on the other hand protecting them from too much tech or tech that can hurt them? 

Badge

Hey Katie! Sentiment analysis is a really valuable tool for PR/marketing professionals, do you see it being used a lot in those fields? If not, what do you think the barriers might be?

You’re right Helen. Sentiment analysis is often used in social media, entertainment, and news. Facebook use it to tell you if there are a lot of people complaining about a certain company or how news outlets can report on whether a presidential candidate is doing well or not. It is also used in online marketing.

Badge

Barriers are often linked to budget, mindset, not fully understanding it (i.e. education) or thinking it’s outside your reach 

Badge

The current tech landscape can be overwhelming for parents, how should we strike the right balance between letting our kids run wild and be digitally-literate and on the other hand protecting them from too much tech or tech that can hurt them? 

Great question, especially given the fact that the platforms don’t do a good enough job of regulating.  They often think they are above the law.  Parental control and oversight is needed for younger children as they can see way too much on TikTok and Snpachat.  Forget TV watersheds; there is no point given what children can see on social. 

Badge

Great question, especially given the fact that the platforms don’t do a good enough job of regulating.  They often think they are above the law.  Parental control and oversight is needed for younger children as they can see way too much on TikTok and Snpachat.  Forget TV watersheds; there is no point given what children can see on social. 

But they do need to be tech literate with a parent’s and of course the school’s support.  

As a parent, I was prepared to be unpopular and say no and set boundaries

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

In your book, you mention that many prefer chat bots over customer service. With that in mind how do you feel about the more sophisticated examples of NLP (e.g. Lamda)? Do you think this will propel the wider adoption of chatbots as a customer service tool and what do you think the impact will be on the way enquiry/service teams are structured?

Badge

As a data scientist you can get involved, e.g. with APPG AI and other forums, via LinkedIn Groups etc.  Share your views and advice as a thought leader.  Be authentic and proactive

Badge

In your book, you mention that many prefer chat bots over customer service. With that in mind how do you feel about the more sophisticated examples of NLP (e.g. Lamda)? Do you think this will propel the wider adoption of chatbots as a customer service tool and what do you think the impact will be on the way enquiry/service teams are structured?

That’s been all over the news lately with some very mixed views. Do I think that AI is becoming sentient? Personally, no. But I do think it’s remarkable what Google has managed to do for NLP with LaMDA. Reading those transcripts that went viral was really remarkable, as the way that the bot articulated itself was so human-like. I think that’s why it caused such a stir and sparked a conversation about sentience, because the conversation felt like a discussion between two people rather than a person and a bot. I don’t think that equals sentience, but it does mean that we have advanced NLP to a point where the difference is imperceptible. This is a huge win for customers and businesses alike, because it will feel like nothing is being sacrificed on the experience end for the customer but the team is able to save time. This will lead to better service and higher satisfaction levels.

Badge

My scorecard here will be really useful in terms of how you get started -https://www.aiinbusiness.co.uk/consulting

Badge

Feel free to connect on LinkedIn - www.linkedin.com/in/katieeking

Thanks for some great Qs